February 9, 2016 by Jon Law
16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,
“I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.
2 Corinthians 6:16
The Temple was an extraordinary place. 1) It was the place where God Himself dwelt: behind the curtain in the Most Holy Place (1 Kings 8:10-11). 2) It was were Israel saw their assurance that they were God’s chosen people: He had chosen them to be the nation whom He would dwell with (1 Kings 8:56-61). 3) Sacrifices were made in its courts, reminding Israel of their sin and God’s grace (Exodus 27:1-8). 4) It was were incense burned representing the prayers of the people rising to God (Exodus 30:1-10). 5) It was where the priests ministered in the Lord’s holy presence, acting on God’s behalf to Israel, and on Israel’s behalf to God (Exodus 28-29).
If you have put your faith in Christ, you are now His Temple. Each believer individually, and the Church as a whole, are identified as ‘the temple of the living God.’
1) You are the place where God dwells! He is the ‘living God’ and He is alive in you. Every moment of every day you carry the presence of the holy God of the universe.
2) You can be assured that you are God’s because He has made His home with you and He will never move out!
3) You are the place of sacrifice, where people see a life that is cross-bearing (Mark 8:34-35) and the wounds of Jesus shine through your grace-enabled laying down of your own life.
4) You are the place of incense, able to offer your own prayers to God. You no longer need someone else to live out a relationship with God on your behalf: Christ has fulfilled that role and now you can boldly approach God’s throne (Hebrews 4:16).
5) You are a priest within this Royal Priesthood that is the church (1 Peter 2:9). You work, rest and play in the presence of God, and all that you do is to be sanctified by Him.
Life looks radically different when we realise that we are walking, breathing, living temples of the living God.
How should you approach your day knowing that you are the Temple of God?
Category Uncategorized | Tags: